There is a crispness in the air. Leaves on the trees are starting to change color. The sunsets are arriving earlier & the farmers markets booths are overflowing with squash, apples & sunflowers. AND, just like clockwork, pumpkin is starting to show up in, well, pretty much everything. Here in Colorado, the change of season is certainly upon us & boy, do we love change!
In the consignment world, Fall is our BUSIEST time of year. It's kind of like how the holiday season is for "typical" retail stores - crazy, hectic & fun all at once! At the end of Summer, everyone heads to their closet or storage area to put away their lightweight wardrobe & bring out their transitional pieces. It's at that very same time that we get absolutely flooded with consignment. (The exact thing happens when there's a rainy day or even after a weekend - our stores are busy the following day because consignors had the time to go through their closets.)
At the beginning of September, both of our stores began accepting Fall consignment! But, we always seem to get the question: What exactly does Fall entail? To us, it is the season of transition between hot & cold that is full of layers, thicker fabrics & texture, texture, texture!
We're extra-choosy this time of year because there is SO MUCH coming in, so here are a few specifics we are looking for & what to look for in your own closet.
1. Current styles. We have a rule of thumb: if it wasn't in a full-priced store within the past two years, we're going to pass. We have such limited retail space & really love the idea of shopping in a highly curated space. If you shop our stores, you know that we keep our store inventory current, but tend to steer clear of "mall brands". We select unique brands, designer labels & boutique styles to sell, so there is absolutely no digging for gems - you are surrounded by them!
2. Outerwear. Thick twill, classic denim, military-esque & yummy leather jackets in modern shapes & like-new condition.
3. Blazers. While we are transitioning into cooler weather, this staple is one that can pull a casual outfit together in an instant! We are always looking for wonderfully tailored pieces in gorgeous fabrics, such as wool suiting, velvet (so hot right now!) & thick knits for a more casual feel.
4. Scarves. But not just any ol' scarf. We look for season appropriate colors, luxurious textiles (think cashmere, wool, silk or modal) & current prints. Brands we love include: Faliero Sarti, Chan Luu, Avant Toi & Matta.
5. Texture. Beautifully-knit oversized sweaters, delicious cashmere (always a great seller), fringe, frays, distressed denim, natural leather, studs, tweed & interesting woven pieces... We love it all!
6. Layers. Great basics that translate to multiple seasons so we can get more milage out of them, chunky "grandpa" cardigans (or any cardigan for that matter!), leggings to wear with tunics or dresses & ponchos that can be worn for either a sweater or outerwear look.
7. Boots & Booties. We did an entire blog post about this, which you can read HERE. We sell booties like mad & taller boots are close to follow! Colorado women really do LOVE their boots & with good reason too - they are a true transitional piece that can practically be worn year-round. Best selling brands include: Fiorentini + Baker, Rachel Comey, Rag & Bone, Prada, No. 6, Stuart Weitzman, Freebird & Frye.
When going through your own closet, be sure to keep those heavier-weight garments (& holiday party pieces!) for your Winter consignment drop-off. Chunky knit hats & scarves, winter boots (Sorel, Ugg, etc), thick puffer coats, ski & snowboard clothing, wool coats, turtleneck sweaters & anything that has bling or sparkles that would be great for holiday!
We look forward to seeing you soon! Happy consigning & shopping!